Pottermore Shop doesn’t yet have an official relationship with Apple’s iTunes store—one that, were it in place, would presumably allow anyone to link an iTunes account to Pottermore Shop and send a purchased book directly to an iBooks bookshelf. Instead, here’s the rather involved 10-step procedure Pottermore Shop recommends for iBooks users:
iBooks App:However, if you’ve got an iPad, an iTunes account, and the iBooks app you can cut these 10 steps in half and simply direct download the Harry Potter ebook to your iPad. Which means you’re beginning as Pottermore Shop suggests above ...
- Purchase your eBook (or collect it, if it is a gift)
- Your eBook will then appear in 'My books'
- Click the 'Select' button under the eBook you wish to download
- Choose the 'Direct download' option
- Click the 'Yes, download this book' button. Your eBook will now be prepared and download to your computer. If you are prompted to save it to your computer, click 'Yes' or 'Save', taking care to note where it is being saved
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Locate your eBook on your computer and use your mouse to drag and drop it into the 'Books' section of iTunes
- Download the free iBooks App to your device
- Connect your device to your computer and sync it with 'Books' in iTunes
- Open the iBooks App on your device and access your eBook
|To add a Pottermore Shop ebook directly to your iPad, select the Direct Download option|
|Once the direct download is finished, your iPad will invite you to open the file in your iBooks app. It will also place the book on your iPad's bookshelf.|
Granted, Pottermore Shop may recommend its laborious 10-step approach to ensure that you place the DRM-free copy of your Harry Potter ebook on your Mac or PC for safekeeping. That way should your iPad meet an untimely end and you require a new (or reformatted) one from Apple you won’t use up another of your 8 (or fewer) allowable downloads obtaining a new copy of your ebook. Instead, you can simply synch the replacement iPad with your computer and voilà!—your Harry Potter ebook is once again ready to travel.